QuickScan - FAQ
Frequently asked questions:
Tip #1: Automatic export
QuickScan allows you to trigger an automatic export once you are done scanning (i.e. pressed the Save button in the camera view). To do that:
- Make sure you have at least one Export Favorite created
- Go to Settings > Automatic Export
- Enable automatic export
- Select the Export Favorite to be used when QuickScan will trigger the automatic export
Note: Every new scan will be automatically exported to the configured Export Favorite, unless the scan has been triggered from a widget/shortcut with another Export Favorite associated. See further for more details.
Tip #2: Widgets/Shortcuts
Widgets play an important role in using QuickScan efficiently. You can create multiple widgets on your home/lock screen. Each widget can be associated with an Export Favorite, such that QuickScan will process and export every new scan initiated with that widget, to the associated Export Favorite. This allows you to immediately archive (i.e. upload) your scans at the right place. For example you could have a widget for:
- Your professional expenses, that should be uploaded to your work Dropbox, in PDF, with OCR, in Black & White, named with today's date, example: 2023-04-03-11h10_work_expense
- Your shopping tickets, that should be uploaded to your family iCloud Drive, in PDF, with OCR, in colors
- Your travel tickets, that you want to send by email immediately, as a JPG image
See the widgets section for more information
Note: Siri Shortcuts work the same way as widgets (they can have an Export Favorite associated). The difference is that they allow you to trigger a scan with your voice, using Siri. Example: "Hey Siri, scan for work".
See the widgets section for more information
An Export Favorite is an export destination (ex: your Dropbox) associated with settings (example: black & white filter applied, OCR, specific filename).
When exporting a document (a scan), you have the possibility to choose the destination, or to export to an Export Favorite.
Tip: you can associate a widget with an Export Favorite, to trigger an export immediately after the scan initiated by tapping the widget
To create an Export Favorite:
- Go to Settings > Export Favorites
- Tap the '+' button on the top-right corner
- Select a destination for the exported documents
- Then on the next screen: configure the name and other settings, according to your needs
To adjust the exported file size:
- In the list of scans, select the scan to adjust
- In the document view (the one showing all pages of a scan), tap on the Image Settings icon () located in the bottom bar.
- Adjust the image quality and image size. These settings have an important impact on the exported file size.
- Tap on Done (top-right of the screen). The exported file size is automatically estimated, and displayed at the top of the screen.
Tip: You can adjust the default image settings for every new document in QuickScan > Settings > Image Settings
To access the recently deleted scans:
- In the list of scans, swipe up to make the search field appear
- Tap on the search field
- Select 'Recently deleted'
- To restore (or permanently delete) a scan, press the button with the 3 dots next to it
The deleted files are kept for 24 hours by default. The duration can be configured under Settings > Other Settings
QuickScan Enterprise is the required licence for users that use the app professionally.
Otherwise they are functionally the same. There are no donations in QuickScan Enterprise. The zero data collection policy is the same.
QuickScan Enterprise is available in Apple Business/School Manager, and is eligible for the Volume Purchase Program.
Widgets play an important role in QuickScan and help you be more productive. They are available for both your home and lock screen. A widget allows you to trigger a scan directly from the home / lock screen.
Optional productivity tip: a widget can be associated (configured) with an Export Favorite. When triggering a scan using that widget, an export to the associated Favorite will be triggered right after you finished scanning your documents.
- Add a widget on your home / lock screen. See Apple's doc.
- Edit your widget (long-press on it), then tap on 'Choose' and select the desired Export Favorite in the list.
- The Export Favorite's icon, color and name will be applied to the widget
Note for lock screen: Due to space/color restrictions, only the icon will appear on lock screen widgets
Tap on the widget > Scan > Tap save > The scan is processed and exported according to the Export Favorite
Note: if you do not associate an Export Favorite, the scan will be saved into QuickScan. If auto-export is configured within QuickScan > Settings > Auto-export, the export will happen, just like if your started the scan directly from the app.